“If Sophie’s Mom was my mom, I’d be really fat”, said Nica after we paid a visit to their quaint and fresh-baked-smelling shop in San Antonio Village.
With their cupcakes, mochi ice cream, and all their delicious bread and cookies, I have no doubt that I would be too.
It was a last-minute decision to have Sophie’s Mom cupcakes as snacks during our Punchdrunk Panda Skimmer Webisode shoots with JP Cuison, Saab Magalona, Ge Mapa, Selena Salang, Robbie Bautista, Cheyser Pedragosa, Kitkat Pecson, Patricia Prieto, Kasey Albano & Arriane Serafico. I had been thinking earlier in the week of our shoot about what food I was going to provide as snacks, and then I had a eureka moment and remembered Sophie’s Mom.
We usually see them at bazaars we participate in as well, and when we do see them around, we’re sure to get their Mochi Ice Cream (P40). :) I’ve tried their Frozen Brazo, Strawberries & Cream, Cookie Dough & Lemon Meringue, and the Lemon Meringue is my personal favorite. Though I’ve yet to try their Banoffee & Red Velvet Mochi Ice Cream. :)
So anyway, I immediately contacted Tita Tonette Rosal to ask if she would be able to provide me cupcakes for our shoot on the following day, and luckily, she was able to pull through for us! :)
Punchdrunk Panda loves Sophie’s Mom! :D
In the three days that we were shooting webisodes, I personally got to sample their:
- Day 1: Spanish Bread (P12), which has this unique pastillas-like-filling — better than your average Spanish bread.
- Day 1: Red Velvet Cupcake (P50), which has rich cream cheese frosting, while the cupcake itself has chocolate bits mixed into the batter @_@ — it’s REALLY good, though I tend to get overwhelmed by super cream cheesy things in general, but even so, I found this really yummy.
- Day 2: I bought myself a Red Velvet Cookie (P50) and the Cheese Raisin Loaf (P80) — the Red Velvet Cookie is interesting as it is quite literally a Red Velvet Cupcake in cookie form. So yeah, thumbs up for this too! — I must say I was a little disappointed with the “Cheese” Raisin Loaf though, because it looked so cheesy, and being a super cheese girl and an anti-raisins-except-when-eaten-alone girl, I was looking for more cheese and less raisin. But otherwise, it’s an excellent option for raisin and cinnamon lovers.
- Day 2: Ensaymada (P35), cheesy and super chewy-soft bread — I just had a bite from Nica’s because I’m not a super ensaymada girl, but it was REALLY good (sorry, people, I do not have other adjectives). I mean, being a non-ensaymada girl, this is actually an ensaymada I would go out and buy. So that says a lot.
- Day 3: Hazelnut Praline Sweet Buns (P10), Nutella-filled buns — enough said. Haha!
- Day 3: Toffee Caramel Buns (P20), caramel-filled rolls — the bread was uh-mazing. The filling was a bit sweet for my taste, but I would buy this for the bread. YUM.
- Day 3: As if I did not have enough Sophie’s Mom during the week, I bought a Red Velvet Cupcake, Tres Leches w/ Strawberries Cupcake (P50), and a Dulce de Leche Cupcake (P50), all for myself — Tres Leches is a light cake soaked and filled with 3 kinds of milk, rum and fresh strawberries or mangoes, while the dulce de leche is a chocolate cupcake with filling and ganache frosting — and oh my god, I practically finished all 3 in one sitting.
I must have gained 3 pounds this week.
I usually have Red Velvet cupcakes on the top of my favorite pastries/cupcakes, but I have to say, that the Tres Leches is also a strong contender. I wanted the one with mangoes though, but the one with strawberries was really good too! Like a Strawberry Short Cupcake. Since I tend to favor lighter, less rich desserts/sweets, this one sat with me very well. :)
* I can’t really be a food blogger or anything because I usually dig into whatever is presented in front of me before taking a photo, but I managed to gather enough EQ to take the below shot.
So my top 3 picks among the new treats I tried would be:
- Tres Leches Cupcake
- Red Velvet Cookie
But yeah, Sophie’s Mom staples would be their Mochi Ice Cream & Red Velvet Cupcakes. :)
Their store is located at 8760 Santol Street, San Antonio Village, Makati, BUT their aiming to open their little take-out kiosk in SM Megamall Bldg. A (in front of National Bookstore) by March 16, 2012. (OMG SO MUCH CLOSER TO HOME)
We’re also hoping to get them to join Anteroom Sessions 2 on March 31, 4-11pm at Cubao X. :D
So yeah, ‘til you get the chance to visit their store or catch them at a bazaar, you can drool at all their yummy goodies here.
Tres leches pounds heavier but happy,